Thread: Morale
View Single Post
(#1)
Old
Banned

Default Morale - 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM

A good example is the tv series 'Red Dwarf'. The basic premise is that Lister was on a spaceship in some kind of stasis, as a sort of punishment, and something happens catastrophic which means that he is the last human ever at all in the universe. The ships computer keeps everything going, and has to keep Lister in stasis for 5 million years or something, until the background radiation dies down to a level where the computer can wake him and give him the depressing news of his situation.

The computer is very clever, and realising how depressing the situation actually is, it creates a hologram person for Lister, as company, as a room mate. The clever thing is that this hologram is full of personality problems which is a pain for Lister, but it is this, that Lister feels he isn't the one with the problems, that helps Lister keep sane and well.....and in this way he has morale, is able to go on in this dire situation.

Our lives are full of struggles and we are sensitive and emotional beings. Some people actually, of course, lose a sense of morale that they kill themselves. I suppose given enough crap it could be any of us. But my point is that morale is really serious to keep and not lose.

To that end, I try to understand what it is which keeps me feeling confident and cheerful. I like to be a decent person, I like to, say, not gossip or talk about people behind their backs. Other people do it a lot, but I don't, and in this way i respect myself, and with this respect I can not only hold my head up high, but feel good about myself, and have a general optimism that I have good purpose for existing in the world.......I contribute, I do good, I am a good citizen, a good neighbour, etc.

If I wasn't these things, if I conducted myself badly, then i think I would lose a sense of morale. It is a difficult thing is life, keeping up and happy and so able to keep going, the strength to carry on. A strong sense of good morale is a great tool, as also it helps by meaning you do not need stuff to keep you up and happy or distracted from a bad situation....just a walk by the river can be enough.