View Single Post
(#27)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 20-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Stinson View Post
I much prefer audio books, since I can listen to them for a good 2 hours a day when walking my dogs. Just had a skimmer through torrents and can't find any audio versions so, paperback it is.
There are some YouTube excerpt's from the book but there a bit all over the place. Some of them also have weird feel good music in the background along with a cheesy American accent which puts me off. I think its a much better experience the read the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Stinson View Post
I'm not sure if I haven't had any issues raised in No More Mr Nice Guy, I've had relationships, they've ended, I will likely assume that I do have some of the issues raised, just not to a similar scale as to the book shows. 1 major feeling was that everything seemed to be coming from the point of the relationship is in place and basically, how to help people not mess the relationship up. Whereas, I'm single and felt a lack of connection from this book due to the fact that it was coming from an angle of a relationship had already formed. Though this wasn't the only factor. My relationships have been healthy in the long run. I don't feel like many of the issues raised relate to me but, some would also counteract that by saying it's denial.
I see what your saying man. Like I said in one of the earlier post's in this thread the book isn't PU specific its more a Psychology/Self Help book for people who have had 'Nice Guy Syndrome' as Dr Glover describes it. I was one of those people both in and out of relationships so I found the book very useful for helping recognize why I was like this and how break the 'Nice Guy' cycle as a pose to 'helping not mess a relationship up'. If you don't feel like many of the issues relate to you then that's very cool man. I certainly wouldn't say it's denial, maybe your just being overly critical of yourself and looking for something that's not there.

When something get's lauded on a forum or gets a bunch of 5 star ratings on Amazon its easy to think there must be something wrong with you if it's message doesn't hit home the same way as it might have done with others. Thing is were all on different journeys and are at different stages of said journeys. We've all grown up in different parts of the world with different friends and family and experiences. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Different strokes and all that.

Whats cool is that you had the open mindedness to read it and make your own judgement's from that. This mindset is what will help you learn and grow long term. You said yourself how much you've changed in the past year, I don't doubt that change has in part come from the open mindedness to read about new ideas, challenge old thought processes and go out and learn from new experiences.