View Single Post
(#8)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 29-06-2011, 06:28 AM

I did commuting to London a few years ago however still managed to spend 3 hours a day commuting door to door.

At some point I'd still like to go contracting, however I have limited financial experience and that's what a lot of the city jobs want. I know contracting can be very lucrative especially if you avoid IR35. London does pay well but this job is pretty good salary and as Rebus has mentioned I'd be paying a lot less on commuting (potentially nothing if I cycle) & accommodation (decent 2 bedroom pads in London seem to start at 2k a month!).

I’ve found it can be difficult to compare income from contract to permanent.
For example if someone’s gets 350 a day contracting (inside IR35) on the face of it looks like 90k gross. However if you take off the usual benefits you'd get in a perm position (25 days holiday, 5 days sick, pension, healthcare, bonus, etc...) it
comes down to around 60k.

Anyway just because this job is perm doesn't mean I have to be loyal and stay there another 7 years. I'm still looking around for other jobs in case this one doesn't work out. Trying to live in abundance and all that...

Mark

Realise deeply the present moment is all you ever have. Make the Now the primary focus of your life. Eckhart Tolle

Last edited by markuk; 29-06-2011 at 06:35 AM.