View Single Post
(#17)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 19-05-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
This is me not Aristotle, I'm extrapolating using my own intuitions and ideas.

You seem to be taking the discussion in a meta-ethical direction, to discuss, maybe, if morals are objective or subjective. Try the intro and first chapter of this book J. L. Mackie - Ethics~ Inventing Right and Wrong (0140135588, 1991) (if my memory serves me he gives all his arguments concisely in those early pages), it is a nice easy read that gives a good account of the argument for subjectivity.

Peace,

kowalski
Leave it out, you realise I ask you as you're like our resident "pick up/philosophy wiki" and I can't be arsed to actually do the reading myself! I suppose I do seek an over-arching ethical position. I mean, it must be subjective as what flies in a little African tribe ain't gonna fly in London, but then again if you zoom out to a world view it doesn't seem right. The more i think about it, these are just concepts that exist within ourselves not in objective reality so how can it be objective...it can't. Still leaves me with the German Nazi sympathiser problem though, how can that be ethical or moral to have gone along with it, the whole not fighting culture being moral/ethical bit, that's what throws me off.

PS

"Civilise the mind, make savage the body"
The Following User Says Thank You to PostScript For This Useful Post:
kowalski (19-05-2011)