View Single Post
(#16)
Old
MASTER PUA
Fishing the Sea Champion, Gyroball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to RLAJay
Default 12-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca View Post
I disagree - I, for instance, can't stand Marmite (a bitter substance) but many people love it. Am I right? Are they? Who knows - it's an opinion and therefore subjective.

Quite right.

I question this - do you have any evidence?

I very strongly question this, except, perhaps, in the case of salt - someone with increased blood osmolarity (ie fewer salts in the blood) may cause a decrease in expression of Sodium channels in the lingual epithelium to decrease the body's sensitivity of it, thus increasing the amount the tongue needs to be exposed to to sense the salt. However, this only occurs during times of very low salt concentrations, not as an everyday thing.

Just talking about food tastes, I consider it to be almost entirely subjective. I know two people who will only eat shit food. They hate vegetables, fruits, most natural meat, and instead opt for turkey dinosaurs, chips and sweets. I think it is no coincidence that both these lads, when they were growing up, were allowed to get away with not eating their veg simply for a quiet life. They never learned to just get on with it, man up and eat what was good for them.

As for your problem, OP, I don't see any way around it apart from to man up and eat things that are good for you. Let's be honest, nobody likes broccoli, but you have to learn to get on with it and eat it. The key is getting to the point where you don't notice the slightly unpleasant flavours.

If you can't do this, I'd pop in to the doctors. Not that I want to start slapping labels on people, but you might be suffering from something similar to other people and there's always the chance they'll help you. But try growing a pair and choking it down first.
Did a very fast google on this as I'm in a bit of a rush right now. Brief article on just one study from a quick googling, don't have time to really dig into it and find the better sources I read about earlier I'm afraid, I can take a better look later though.

Food Tastes Stronger When You're Hungry