View Single Post
(#63)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 17-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I've been in my new main job for over 7 months now. It's great I like it, & it's my first ever office job.

There's a couple of things I don't like though. The main one is that it went from a customer service job to a sales focused job in that time.

We have been given incentives as in the more we sell the more we earn, which when looking at it that way is good because we take home more dollars each month.

However the targets are being raised each month. This month we need to sell 24 units before we earn commission. I have the feeling next month will be the original minimum of 30.

I get that business is business. And yes it is a big electricity company who won't be going out of business any time soon. But I just don't like the feeling of being a cog in a system that is all about profit.

To be fair, it is a decent place with decent enough people & we have a laugh too (although every time they recruit it is 90/95% male, which I dislike immensely).

But this getting sales carry-on does not sit well with me. Amongst a few other aspects I don't like.

I am a volunteer counsellor to children & young people over the phone & live chat. That job means more to me than this paid job I'm talking about. I regularly compare the job I do voluntarily to this profit chasing job I do 9-5 & the comparison is night & day. I would do the counselling job full time over it at a moments notice but it's not available at the minute.

After 6 months in my new job I got a review & my "probation" was extended by 3 months to see if I pick up sales. It wasn't a confrontation type review I was praised for every thing I've done & it was positive, & I have picked it up since. But I do not feel like I want to be a part of a big corporation anymore.

Anyone here been in sales or in my position that has experienced a similar career crossroads?

As a side note: I am being offered a medical trial (they are really desperate) for a metabolism thing wher they are paying nearly £4000 for 20 nights. I really want to do it & am asking the trial place to give me letter I can show my boss that I've been asked to do a trial for medical purposes & for the fact I have a poor metabolism (which is why I've been asked.

Or I could quit my job do the trial & then find another job haha.

Feeling a bit unsure what to do

You can't win if you don't play
The Following User Says Thank You to dan300 For This Useful Post:
DaveM2015 (17-03-2016)