View Single Post
(#1)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default Deviation from ideal mental health - 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM

This was first suggested by Marie Jahoda (1958) and turns the traditional notion of abnormality on it's head by looking at the positives rather than the negatives - mental health as opposed to mental illness.
Jahoda identified 6 criteria - if these are deviated from or are in deficit then you can become vulnerable to a psychological problem.
1) Positive attitudes towards the self > positive self concept > a sense of identity.
2) Self actualisation of ones potential (Maslow)
3) Resistance to stress > coping strategies for stressful situations.
4) Personal autonomy > being reliant on your own resources and remaining stable when faced with frustrations and deprivations.
5) Accurate perception of reality > being realistic rather than seeing things in an overly optimistic or pessimistic way.
6) Adapting to the environment > being flexible rather than rigid, being able to adapt to change.

Just some notes from my psychology class today.
I would say that all of these are related to what you learn through pick up/improving your social skills, and I am very certain that I have improved on them all since i got involved, particularly 1,2,4 and 6.
So there it is, going out and chatting up women regularly is very good for your mental health.

It's only technique in its conjunction with meaningfulness that you get a work of art
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summer Junky For This Useful Post:
Blanca (02-11-2009), Hustler25 (02-11-2009), Jaz (02-11-2009), kowalski (02-11-2009)