View Single Post
(#42)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 15-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadswordWSJ View Post
Each to their own; I just think it's very foolish not to plan for your future. As I said I started mine 11 years ago & even current projections show my income from age 65 onwards on a yearly basis isn't going to be that great, so as the years go on I try and put any additional spare money into it.

You say it's foolish not to, yet in the same breath you also say the projection of what you'll have at 65 sucks. So effectively you're paying for something that's ultimately going to be a disappointment no matter what.

You say your not worried about what happens in 35 years time........then the time comes and you realise you have nothing to live on other than your state pension and you think "Oh fuck, why didn't I plan for this". I find it pretty alarming at age 30 you don't have anything put away already. If your planning to fund this by other means as well as live a decent normal life; you potentially need to be earning a 6 figure sum on a yearly basis. You have to think about the whole reason pensions exist in the first place.

I'm not bothered about it now because it's 35 years away. I'm fairly confident that I'll have made a good few quid in business by then. Even if the first 5 businesses fail, I've got 35 years to get it right. Or maybe I'll have had 10 promotions by then, or maybe after my degree I'll shoot up the pay scale significantly year by year & do my own saving.

One other small point, with no offence meant: Studying Business & Financial Management doesn't neccessarily give you the knowledge to start and run your own business; you get people with Masters degrees who are in the same boat. There's a big difference between the classroom and the real world.

As i said, each to their own, you've already made up your mind - was just something to point out.
Having these qualifications & this knowledge makes me more equipped than someone who doesn't have either. It's not that difficult to start a business all you need is some capital, a good idea with potential, & the balls to take a calculated risk.

I have plenty of friends who have successful businesses who I could turn to for a nugget of wisdom here & there if we find ourselves stuck.

You can't win if you don't play