View Single Post
(#32)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 06-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
Funnily enough (and I dunno if this is true), but I heard BJJ has a reputation in Brazil as a ponces sport as its only rich white westerners or the upper class Brazilians who train in it. As I assume it's expensive to train, plus most people in south america live in absolute poverty.
There is some truth to this man. Because to do BJJ you need a Gi there are a lot of people in Brazil who just cant't afford one. I wouldn't say it's classed as a ponces sport over there as it is a tough sport and with the Gracie's fucking everyone and anyone up on the streets of Rio from back in the day it is legit and respected but it does have the connotation of being associated with the middle class. A popular insult in Brazil is to call someone a Playboy. This is aimed at someone who has had things handed to them and never suffered like someone from the favelas might have, and it's associated a lot with native BJJ practitioners over there.

That being said there has been a lot of community project work over there where BJJ schools run scholarship programs for kids in poor areas. So BJJ is becoming more for everyone, although there is still some disparity and it does have a rep for being something for the middle class. I guess a bit like Rugby Union is over here.