View Single Post
(#1)
Old

Default Train for functional strength and combative prowess, not like a poster boy! - 08-07-2013, 03:06 AM

I see too many guys at the gym trying to simply pack on muscle and look pretty for the mirror or for women. However the world is changing. Trying to only Look pretty is pretty LAME, if you can't fight, lack functional strength, don't have a strong cardio-pulmonary system and don't have any or minimal combative prowess. Hey you never know when you might have to protect your honour, your life or the life of a loved one! I used to train to look pretty and I was. However, I severely lacked in functional strength and also in major definition to my body, especially my core.

I have since 9 months changed things up a few notches and am training like a UFC fighter

Meaning plyometrics, compound muscle movements rather than simple, focusing more on large muscle groups(legs, back, chest) which work the smaller ones by default(triceps, shoulders, biceps), doing insane balance/core strength training, circuits with explosive movements, no rest periods or min rest.

I Start each session with 20 minutes of weaving, bobbing, head movements(These are boxing training exercises specifically), punch and kick combos in front of the mirror or on the heavy bag.

This is followed by 15-20 minutes of (HIIT) High Intensity Interval Cardio on the treadmill and jumping rope for 10 minutes as 2 (5 min) parts.

I also practice my weighted Nunchuks which work my entire upper body.

I have supplemented this with a diet that is....

lacking in : salt, sugar, dairy, processed sugars or fast digesting sugars and bad fats

Rather, I am eating a diet consisting of nuts, slow digesting carbs, proteins, good fats, gave up alcohol and that is resulting in my "fat stores" being burned away like crazy.

I am seeing stomach muscles and much more definition overall on myself when I gaze into the mirror. I am looking, increasingly and quicker than before like a lean, mean fighting machine , week after week. I started at 230 LBS. Am now down to 191 lbs and my goal is a welterweight UFC champion weight of 170 or maybe even a middleweight like 180 lbs. Will arrive in 3 months.

Lastly, I am feeling "functionally" strong, agile, flexible, my cardio is through the roof and I don't gas out or burn out. My fighting skills are through the roof(For now on my feet as in kicks/punches-which are getting lightening like fast and with growing force/power).

I am not only looking PRETTY as the women who go to my gym make me feel with their "flirty stares" but I am PRETTY STRONG and COMBATIVELY READY, if and when duty calls.

My recommendation once again and something that even Joe Rogan says is put down the simple muscle exercises and start doing kettle bells, plyometrics, compound muscle training, circuits, MMA/UFC style training and you will accomplish a lot more physically, mentally and spiritually on top of aesthetically.

Omar

Last edited by alphamaax; 08-07-2013 at 03:14 AM.