View Single Post
(#1)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default Money, Money, Money - 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm at the sort of age now where I feel I should be more responsible financially rather than squandering the majority of my salary on things I don't need, or worse still; pissing it away.

Over the last 2-3 years I've managed to put away several thousand in savings into a cash ISA, with interest rates being at a historical low of 0.5% for some years now the interest accrued for savers is paltry, my return is currently a meagre 1.75% variable rate.

Fixed rate bonds are as equally pathetic in their interest rates. Therefore I was considering investing instead into a Stocks and Shares ISA or go direct and buy shares in specific companies. A friend of mine bought shares 2 years ago in the House builders Taylor Wimpey and Bovis Homes he has since yielded a 3 fold return on his investment!

Whilst with the Stock Market you can yield greater returns you are also at risk of greater losses.

Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

Also I have recently gone self-employed which means this year I will have to fill out my own tax return, my setup is pretty simple I just work freelance for an architectural practice my invoices are usually only to one company at the end of each month and my expenses are only a handful each month (usually travel costs). Through anyones experience, is the process straight-forward enough to not require the services of an accountant?

It was fear of myself that made me odd