View Single Post
(#5)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca View Post
I'm keen on the compound movements. That's going to serve you well. I also like the fact you can be in and out in 30 minutes. That's good for stress hormone levels which tend to start increasing around the 45 minute to one hour mark and have the effect of mobilising muscle tissue to increase blood sugar (ie your body starts to eat its own muscle). 30 minutes is good and focused.

I'm not keen on pyramid sets this way round, ie starting small and getting big. I tend to do the first set on the highest weight (when your body is the least tired) and go down in order to keep within a certain rep range. Going up rather than down means you're going to do fewer reps and are going to be more likely to snap your shit right up; lifting big when your body's already tired isn't a good idea.

Speaking of rep ranges, try to do 6-12 reps on compound movements, 10-15 on isolation exercises and 15-25 on leg exercises. Make sure you're doing as much weight a makes you fail in this rep range. This is how to build muscle - doing high weights, low reps tends to build strength but not muscle. This is where dropping down a weight comes in handy - if you fail on 7 reps on your second set, you can drop a weight and go to 9 or 10 on the next set so you're not failing before you get to 6.

It's just advice though.
I find anything more than 8-10 does nothing for me in terms of gains.

It just seemed to deplete me of energy rather than hypertrophy.

Do you not find going straight to the heaviest set to be a strain on your muscles/joints? I couldn't imagine doing my heaviest deadlift first.