View Single Post
(#1)
Old
MASTER PUA
Jason's Pong Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Breakout Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Default Handling Christianity - 26-01-2012, 01:38 AM

I've recently started having one on one Kung Fu lessons. The guy is really knowledgeable and I'm learning some cool stuff. He is also very spiritual and we share a lot of the same life philosophies except for one biggie....

....he is a massive Christian and loves God. The school is a Christian school and he believes that your power comes from an external God/force. He believes that God is controlling the Universe and more importantly him and everyone around him.

I believe that the power to achieve the seemingly impossible comes from within and have learnt to trust my own mind and instincts rather than any external force (or at least that is what I am aiming for). I believe that we control our own destiny.

Part of the school's thing is he wants me to say a prayer at the beginning of class and I think there are other affirmations coming. It makes me feel massively uncomfortable.

I have told him my beliefs, including the fact that I do not worship any external force and I do not have any desire too. However, whilst he is a sound guy, I suspect he believes that he will convert me. Also, he still wants me to recite the prayer, even if I replace the word God with something else.

Anyone been in a similar situation? How would you handle this? Part of me thinks I should just go with it and just say the prayers etc so I can get the good stuff. However, I feel very un-genuine doing this and not sure if I can. I need a compromise!

Also, it is particular sore subject as his wife died and I can see that he uses his belief in God to make himself feel better about this (thinking that one day he will see her again and that she is up in heaven).