View Single Post
(#9)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 30-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Alfie.
Having not seen this for film I was shocked what a powerful and bleak film it is. Michael Caine is superb as the callous anti-hero. He refers to the women as "it" and says he goes along with their pleasure but not their pain. It's a very powerful attack on the selfish macho men of the 60s and shows what a revolution was needed. as another reviewer says, most of the women are unglamorous and realistic (maybe not Shelley Winters)though played by potentially glamorois actresses, and it does get increasingly obvious that Alfie is a man with real problems. A bit of therapy might throw up very clear reasons why he is like he is - which shows how well written and acted the part

Clerks

This film is one of the best i have ever seen, writer/director kevin smith's first film is very funny and very rude but you must still buy this.it introduces the best double act in modern film Jay(Jason Mewes) and his hetro life mate Silent Bob(Smith) it also has the wonderfully funny Randal as the main charecter Dante's best friend.Smith wrote the script so that randal had the funniest lines because he was going to play him but he decided not to because directing and producing was hard enough.
This is in black and white which may actually put some people off it but if you do watch it you will not be disapointed.

The Big Lebowski is hilarious. There are few films that have made me laugh so much on first viewing. There are no other films that have made me laugh so much more on repeat viewings.

The film starts with a rambling narrative that sets the tone for the labyrinthine but secondary plot. The mystery that underpins the film is cleverly constructed and lends a familiar Coen Brother's noir edge. This in itself would make for a good movie. However, the script is populated with engaging, believable, flawed, quirky and laugh out loud funny characters who take centre stage. The characters elevate the film to comedic greatness.

John Goodman's portrayal of Walter has always stood out for me. The character is so stupid, self absorbed and self assured and he is put in a series of ridiculous situations that bring out the worst in him to comic effect. Jeff Bridge's role as the Dude remains my favourite performance of his and he seems so natural in the part. The combination of The Dude's consummately laid back attitude and Walter's military informed approach makes for a fine pairing. The film builds it's own in-jokes slowly and carefully with characters repeating phrases they have heard and I think this mechanism is partly to credit for the film's immense re-watch value. The Coen Brother's have made several fantastic films but this remains my favourite

This film is a cracker. Unlike many comedies, this one is hilarious all the way through. There are numerous sequences in which the hilarity never stops. Neil Page is played by Steve Martin, a man devoted to his family and is led into numerous mishaps when he teams up with Del Griffit(or however u spell it) played by John Candy and together provide numerous incredibly funny scenes aswell as a suitable ending to the film. A must!

Some like it hot

Actually, strike that title comment. Some Like It Hot has to be one of
the best movies of any genre in cinema ever made, as it succeeds on so
many different levels. The plot and script are witty and sharp, the
characters are easy to identify with and hilarious, the acting is a
masterclass in comedy and the laughs are constant throughout. Without a
doubt this is one of my favourite films, and contains one of the best
closing lines ever. After a movie full of two guys in drag, a sweet
girl singing, and a bunch of gangsters pursuing them, what else is

Sweet smell of success

'Sweet Smell of Success'? I doubt it. More like the rancid stench of social climbing and the perversion of good intent. The movie boasts an intensely stylised dialogue, with wonderful performances from Burt Lancaster as JJ Hunsecker, and Tony Curtis as a Hunsecker wannabe. Lancaster is positively reptilian as the all-powerful gossip columnist, whilst Curtis, as the furtive go-getter Sidney attempts to ingratiate himself by despoiling possibly the only loving relationship in the movie, between that of Hunsecker's sister and her jazz guitarist boyfriend. The noirish cinematography and the inspired direction by Brit Alexander MacKendrick, combined with the waspish and highly ornate dialogue make for a potent piece of cinema. The plot twists and the skewed ending of the movie make this a rivetting masterpiece that lingers long after the final credits roll. The sort of film where almost all of the characters have no redeeming qualities, 'Sweet Smell...' is nonetheless one of the truly great movies of the nineteen

there to say except that "Nobody's perfect!" A comedy masterpiece which has never been bettered.

Serpico.
Taken from the true story of the life of Frank Serpico, this important film stirred up controversy and showed us a side of police departments that they certainly don't want shown. Serpico plays the only honest cop who doesn't take bribes and kickbacks. What is scary is the casual manner the other cops in the film just view taking the graft is just part of the job just like loading their guns. We also see a scary lesson of what happens when one honest man takes on an entire bureaucracy that does not welcome him and what can ultimately happen to him. How many other Serpico's are out there past and present who never got to tell their story for one reason or another. A powerful film that is just as relevant today as when it was made

Raging bull

This is by far De Niro's best performance, and that is saying something. The performance is raw and he depicts the boxer La Motta perfectly. The film shows the highs and lows of the boxer Jake La Motta, and the film is a real roller-coaster ride, De Niro takes you through all the emotions, and put together with Scorsese's brilliant direction, this film is well worth its title of 'Best film of the 80s'.
Raging Bull is the best sports film ever made, the sheer emotion it puts you through, the detailed fights scenes, the first-class sound, this has never been repeated on big screen. Rocky may be fans favourite, but this is the best.

It is hard to believe that De Niro trained for the part for over a year, fought in three fights, then shot the film, take a few months out of filming to put on 50 pounds and then finished filming. Not only the best actor, but also this shows commitment to the part.

I loved Raging Bull from the first time I saw it, I am sure I am not the only one.
The Following User Says Thank You to piers147 For This Useful Post: