View Single Post
(#3)
Old

Default 15-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Alpha - I did a Masters in management and marketing a few years ago, so here goes...

You'll probably have a number of different modules on your course so, as Dale points out, buy the main text books for them (shouldn't be more than a few you need to buy and you can get used ones for quite cheap on Amazon - also, if you want to cut costs further go back an edition as there's generally not much that gets changed with these. Use journal articles to rely on for up to date research and use books for historical methods etc [when writing your papers]).

Always look at the research and resources as soon as you receive an essay question or assignment - even if you just read over the research and get some notes taken down on the theories etc. This will help you when you're in the writing up phase.

Google learning styles and see what you come out as - and then taylor your learning to that. I'm a person who is more right brain orientated (DVDs more than audio etc), which also means I need to repeat/re-write things (like lecture notes) a few times before it sinks in - but, after it does I'll remember it for ages.

Study groups are great - both for group learning and for getting more acquainted with the girls on the course ;-)

On the development plan, I think they're looking for the following:
What have you done before this course that led you to do it
Have any assessments/appraisals pointed out you lack experience or knowledge in any area?
Why are you completing this course? What do you expect to learn?
What do you see yourself doing after this course? (in work)
How will this course help you to develop (as a person)
Tie in some theory (stuff from authors about learning, learning styles, and CPD [continual professional development]).

If you do have any questions then feel free to PM me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flipper For This Useful Post: