Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
(#5)
Old
Deleted

Default 13-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Okay I will write something about it!

In psychology, procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of low-priority, and thus putting off important tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite such behavior as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision.[1] Schraw, Pinard, Wadkins, and Olafson have proposed three criteria for a behavior to be classified as procrastination: it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying.[2]

Okay, I copied from wikipedia!

Now this has got me thinking, if we sub-conciously make the decision in our head to delay a task, assuming it is to "avoid the anxiety" or whatever, why would we even make the decision to do the task in the first place (knowing it will bring associated anxiety?

Perhaps if we take a college course I am doing. I have assignments to do with given deadlines. Perhaps before starting the course, I sub-conciously weigh up the benefits of completing the course, with the negatives of the effort required to complete it, and if it seems worth it, then we start the course. But then, when it comes to crunch time, I always make an excuse not to do the assignment work // UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE.

Conclusion: Humans are odd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Rebus (13-05-2011), Snake Eyes (14-05-2011)