Thread: Weight Problem
View Single Post
(#55)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 24-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
I share the same bias against anything processed so no worries. But Aspartame (I'm going to spell it right this time) has been demonized to the point where it's blamed for more bad than smoking. Quite a stretch for something that's essentially a combination of 2 amino acids.

Most of this has been done in chain emails as part of Cokelore and either misprepresent the facts or just outright make things up.

The truth is that it hasn't been linked to any adverse affects whatsoever and this was confirmed in a 2007 US Study (FDA commissioned, and impartial):

Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current us... [Crit Rev Toxicol. 2007] - PubMed result

The Food Standards Agency has a good summary of it here:

Food Standards Agency - Aspartame

Also Snopes has a good summary of the campaign against it here:

snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

I drink a lot of Diet Coke, so have done my homework on it. The thing is most of the sites attacking it don't actually have much proof and a lot the panic around it is political, rather than scientific.
Cheers for your efforts, personally I find the FDA to be a joke and am far more persuaded by my own research, but as you said elsewhere on this thread: each to his own. Just consider it going forward mate, you've got the leeching issue, the barren nutrition issue, how the alcohol is processed by the body, the satiety issue, the PCB's from the plastic, the forced absorption rate from the carbonation. We both know mother nature is infinitely more elegant than we are capable of understanding. I depends how far you want to go with the natural food slant, personally I'm obsessed with it.

PS

"Civilise the mind, make savage the body"