Thread: Enlightenment
View Single Post
(#10)
Old

Default 29-03-2011, 12:58 PM

I've heard the old magic mushrooms can provide a very intense and lasting experience. I dug this out on Wikipedia - obviously not a cast iron source but still some interesting warts-and-all info.

Quote:
In 2006, the United States government funded a randomized and double-blinded study by Johns Hopkins University, which studied the spiritual effects of psilocybin mushrooms. The study involved 36 college-educated adults who had never tried psilocybin nor had a history of drug use, and had religious or spiritual interests; the average age of the participants was 46 years. The participants were closely observed for eight-hour intervals in a laboratory while under the influence of psilocybin mushrooms.

One-third of the participants reported that the experience was the single most spiritually significant moment of their lives and more than two-thirds reported it was among the top five most spiritually significant experiences. Two months after the study, 79 percent of the participants reported increased well-being or satisfaction; friends, relatives, and associates confirmed this. They also reported anxiety and depression symptoms to be decreased or completely gone.

Despite highly controlled conditions to minimize adverse effects, 22 percent of subjects (8 of 36) had notable experiences of fear, some with paranoia. The authors, however, reported that all these instances were "readily managed with reassurance."
I obviously wouldn't recommend this for people with pre existing conditions relating to to depression or other mental health issues as it could likely make them worse.

Last edited by mccpcorn; 29-03-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: disclaimer