View Single Post
(#7)
Old
MASTER PUA
Fishing the Sea Champion, Gyroball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to RLAJay
Default 27-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Calm down K, no need to go off on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
What is all this?

If someone asked me how the community got started, I'd tell them "It doesn't matter" then ask why they wanted to know and work on from there (or "Fuck off" depending on my mood at the time). "It doesn't matter" is not an instruction ("Fuck off" is), don't get things twisted.

How do you get this ...

... from this ...

? Because it certainly isn't there in my words.
I made an assumption that's where you were going with it, saying "it doesn't matter" made me assume that your stance would be "what matters is what's right for them, they don't need the other information" I actually agree with that. However that means people have to just blindly follow what they're told is correct opposed to giving them all the options and letting them choose and learn what they would prefer to do. There will always be a subset that want all the information regardless of whether it's relevant or not, without that information they won't participate. Hence giving it to them and sigging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski
If someone wants to know this shit and asks me they can listen to what I have to say on the subject and then, if they still want to, they can find it out for themselves (or they can just "Fuck off"). I won't tell them, because I have infinitely better things to tell a person who asks a question like that and so, I believe, do you.
That's all well and good but neither options actually give that subset of people what they wanted in the first place, open information that allows them to make their own decision.. Confrontational behaviour only contributes to scaring people away, people who in general are new, insecure, low on self esteem and in need of a friendly and welcoming attitude opposed to one that greets them with confrontational WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski
Jay, snap back to reality - You honestly think that the best thing for people who want, or think they need, this post and for whom if it doesn't exist they will leave the community is to give them this post? Please don't continue to profess that this is valuable information for anyone and that people who seek this information here couldn't do better to be told "It doesn't matter"
As I said before, it doesn't matter doesn't actually give them what they wanted and coupled with the "fuck off" attitude all it does is show people with insecurities an unhelpful and scary environment.

Humouring their basic desire to understand the background and foundation from which everything comes from greets people in a manner that's more accommodating to the mental state that they have when brand new to such a community. As they become more a part of the community they will become steadily assimilated into the more confident attitude and mindset of the community as they learn what the general principles followed by the more prolific posters are.

In short, I agree with you that it's unnecessary to know any of this but I believe there is no harm in catering to the more obvious early questions in order to present a welcoming environment that better caters to what they think they need at first. This means they will then inevitably learn from the community what they actually need.