Thread: teasing vs negs
View Single Post
(#2)
Old

Default 12-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
You are obsessed with examples. An example will give you one thing to say.
A principle is more useful. A principle will give you an infinity of things to say.
Just to clear this, I'm not obsessed at all, I'm remarking
PUA is a great community, but since there are so many different methods, everyone advocates his own "philosophy". Great, and natural to see the big picture when you're proficient. But philosophy or general principles hardly get you started if you're beginner. To get the theory of relativity you need to start with bare formulae. This is why I'm trying to elicit doable stuff out of the philosophy. That's what I think, take it or leave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
A neg is designed to purposely lower the other person's sense of their own value, so that they chase validation from you to restore their sense of their own value.

An example of a neg - "I like your hair colour. Is it natural?" "No." "Never mind, I suppose it is nice anyway."
An example of a non-neg - "I like your hair colour. Is it natural?" "No." "Never mind, I suppose it is nice anyway."

I could give more examples, but don't think they'll add anything.

The difference is not in the structure of the words but the intention of the speaker. Does the speaker intend with his words to lower the other person's sense of their own value, so that they chase validation from the speaker to restore their sense of their own value? If yes, it is a neg. If no, it is not a neg.

Teasing can be intended to be playful or hurtful. Negging is always intended to be hurtful.
Agreeable. There's not much different from what Mystery means after all; he does want to get some self-consciousness, but insists on keeping them fun, polite and never cross the line.