Thread: NLP Routine
View Single Post
(#17)
Old
Ping Champion

Default 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
Whenever a magician tells you how a trick is done, you can guarantee it is not how it is actually done. That's like Magicians101.

I've seen the live shows you are talking about and ones where he predicts (although they are not actually predictions because the reveal is done after) which toy someone will choose in one of the worlds biggest toy departments supposedly by suggestion etc. They can all be done without the psychological spin he puts on it. That is all for effect. It is what sets him apart from other magicians.

If you like his stuff, you should also check out an American mental illusionist called Banachek. Guy's sick. A lot of the stuff Derren does are re-mixed versions of Banachek's stuff.

Peace,

kowalski
I'll have to check into him , have you read Derren's book "Tricks of the Mind"? There are a lot of useful insights into his uses of NLP and hypnosis in his magic. He talks about hypnotism not actually being anything to do with trance like states but instead being "effective suggestion". His stance on NLP is also that of "over stated".

"as well as people who say that I myself unfairly claim to be using NLP whenever I perform (the truth is I have never mentioned it)"

He also states that he does his work through a combination of "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship."

From what I've seen him do, he does use elements of NLP and even discusses elements in his book, what he calls suggestion is in fact hypnotism, he dislikes the mumbo jumbo magic bend to everything and chooses his own more down to earth words to act as descriptors. For those looking to use NLP I found that it is a useful read since Derren clearly has an understanding of what works and what does not - which is the major problem with NLP and hypnotism.

For those interested: The only hard and fast way to find out is by testing it yourself, some works, some is bullshit; as with pua, you must work out what works best for you and apply it to yourself individually.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.