View Single Post
(#44)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 12-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
There is a difference between something that is Moral and something that is Ethical.

"The difference between ethics and morals can seem somewhat arbitrary to many, but there is a basic, albeit subtle, difference. Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other-dependent."
That's what I said but in shorter form, a moral philosophy or ethic!

Also K was arguing about principles when he mentioned ethics so you can have a principle which is present in morals and ethics. In fact they are the basis for morals and ethics so you criticism isn't really relevant as he mentions it with morals and ethics too.

I think what has happened here is you have thought "do unto others..." is a good rule of thumb to live by but actually stated earlier
Quote:
I thought i answered this by saying that my moral standpoint was "do unto others"..
So you have said here that it is not a rule of thumb so K has gone into detail pointing out the flaws in "do unto others..." and that it has exceptions.

So to clear this up...

Is 'do unto others...' you firm moral standpoint, if so you need to address why K's criticisms are not valid (and you can't just say it's my morals you can't question them otherwise there's no point in having this debate)
Or do you believe that 'do unto others...' is a moral rule of thumb which is basically what K has been saying all along and I think you hinted at when you said
Quote:
And you are taking this absolutely literally.. that being the case, are you compelled to "push" every door you see with "push" on it, or even us a calculator and do 8x8 and get answer low battery, does that make it the answer!

"Is it wrong for a man to love his guitar?"

"It is if he puts his balls between the strings, and strums himself to ecstasy!"