View Single Post
(#174)
Old

Default 27-08-2022, 02:18 AM

I bought the 80-book Penguin Little Black Classics set on Amazon for myself at Christmas with the goal of reading one a week, but sadly work got in the way.

The first book is called Mrs Rosie and the Priest and is a selection of tales from Giovanni Boccaccio's highly influential Decameron, which is infamous for its obscenity, especially considering it was supposedly "written" by thieves and whores sheltering from the plague.

Leo Tolstoy's How Much Land Does a Man Need? is very good also, including his famous moral story of the same name detailing how much man is motivated by greed even if it takes everything from him, especially when making pacts with talk dark strangers met on dark, lonely roads at night!

Johann Peter Hebel was a prolific storeyteller that was idolised by the Brother Grimm amongst others. The book How a Ghastly Story Was Brought to Light by a Common or Garden Butcher's Dog contains a bunch of his moralistic tales of highwaymen, tricksters and soldiers, falling well within the realms of rogue literature. I read this while travelling.

Aphorisms on Love and Hate by Friedrich Nietzsche is exactly what it says on the tin. Another travelling book.

Excellent reading, I have to say!