View Single Post
(#82)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 16-01-2020, 07:31 AM

Yesterday I read Mark Manson's follow up to his subtle art book, "Everything is fucked - A book about hope"

My opinion is that it's rather forgettable. Keeps banging about the "thinking brain" and the "feeling brain" for most it. Using that as the books foundation with "funny stories" about what one brain would do compared to the other brain; "let's say your thinking brain and your feeling brain are driving along in a car...."

Highlighted some points about religion and associated ideologies early on in the book. Which isn't really anything we don't already know. The most interesting chapter was the last one called The Final Religion in which he talked about the evolution of artificial intelligence and how it could be a huge part of our future. Again, nothing we ain't heard before but it's the first time I've ever paused in contemplation about the possibility.

The language used is somewhat relatable - throwing out an odd f-bomb here and there but ultimately, he's no Robert Greene or Jordan Peterson in terms of self-improvement.

Started reading Tim Ferris' "Tribe of Mentors" and I appreciate the way it's written conceptually. He interviewed over 100 of successful people, asking them all the same 11 questions. In the book he only added the best responses. So one person might have only 4 responses in the book and some might have 10, in order to minimise irrelevancy and repetition. But the most important reason I like the book is because you can just pop in anytime and read one persons responses then close it again. You could be sat waiting 10 minutes for a bus and instead of scrolling Facebook you can pick up some tips from people who are speaking from experience. I need to gather some more of these kind of books.

You can't win if you don't play