View Single Post
(#79)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 04-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemeris View Post
Some right gems in there. Down and Out in Paris and London is probably one of the best books I've ever read, and rather surprisingly underrated. Orwells vrious shorts stores are rather good too, such as The Hanging. On the topic of short stories, Dubliners by Joyce is well worth a read!

I see your love for Dostoyevsky is strong, but see nothing of Tolstoy. How come?

If you like science fiction or intelligent adventure novels, check out anything by Jules Verne. His Voyages extraordinaires. The series includes ourney to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Seas, Around the World in Eighty Days and The Mysterious Island. #1 is one of my all time favourite books. The series was well researched for the time and most are considered encyclopedic novels.
I've not read "Down and Out in Paris and London", but I'd recommend "The Grass Arena" it's the account of John Healy who had an abusive home life, suffered from alcoholism and lived on the streets of London for about 15 years. Orwell is a good writer, but from what I know of that book, it seems a bit inauthentic to me, middle class guy looking for new writing material, decides to rough it with the homeless, but I'm sure it's still worth a read.