Thread: Trolls
View Single Post
(#3)
Old
Banned

Default 19-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostScript View Post
I was wondering how we could mitigate the trolls.

They seem to like the attention and pretending they are being constructive just to suck people in, so would it be possible to have an option for individual users to be able to go to a given troll's public profile page and block them?

So I could go to Redemption's profile say, and block him from either from thanking anything I say, or perhaps even block out all his posts from my view altogether as well.

It's just a casual question from somebody who knows fuck all about tech, so don't be up all night working on the site on my account!
I think such a block/bypass would be a good thing if you found a poster's comments offensive or distasteful or unmeasured or inappropriate to an unpleasant and upsetting degree.

I think this is good because it allows the individual to set their own level. Trollism seems to be such a wide bracket and is often, in my view mis-identified. Perhaps someone is just mis-undestood by someone, or perhaps someone just doesn't like someone.

I think that to go on someone else's thread and be inappropriate or rude is wrong because that person whos thread it is has to read the post. But if there is a thread by someone who is felt by someone to be a troll, then they can clearly see that the thread is theirs and so can simply not read it.

I myself like to sometimes muck about with silly banter or some hyperbolly, but all well-intentioned, but I always make a point to only do this on my own threads so that posters have the choice of whether to participate, so they can simply ignore me.

But then there is the question of such fun/banter/male teasing and taunting is negative to the whole site and community, rather than just individuals. BVut in this case there is an official moderator to oversee this, and take care of this, and whilst we can sometimes not see their reasoning, we should trust it and maybe in time come to realize why, as we grow and change by new things and ways and challenges which we at first do not understand. Surely this is better than a closed and narrow world. Certainly I have been called a troll by Dale, which I refute because what I post is never nasty or ill-intented or designed to spoil. Yet sometimes people just simply do not like you and so they wish to 'get rid of you'. But this is how the world is, and how the cyber world is. Anyone different is a threat. Any individuality or non-conformity has to be got rid of.

Just out of interest, postscript, just for myself, would you say that I am being a troll with this post. I don't think I am, but maybe I am and don't know it. Please could you give me a check on this, because I do wonder as i try to check myself.

All the best, etc..
The Following User Says Thank You to tat For This Useful Post:
Bunch of Twigs (25-03-2015)