View Single Post
(#13)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 27-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadswordWSJ View Post
I still work 9-5 (well actually contractors are generally required to do a 9 hour day, chuck in an hour for lunch and its 10), still have a manager to report to, the only difference is I earn a lot more than if I was doing the same job as an employee.

Contractors who are dictated too aren't real contractors they're disguised employees and are therefore eligible to pay the same levels of tax.
This makes me think you are not familiar with IR35 and could be working within it. If you're working through a limited company this could be a costly mistake if HMRC investigate your company.

This website is a good resource on the subject:
What is a disguised employee?

I'm a contractor and I think of myself as a supplier. The company I work for (and it's the sole director) is supplying a service to my client.
How I deliver that service is my business. In much the same way you wouldn't call a plumber up and tell him when he can go on lunch and what hours he works.

Back on topic - contracting is more a choice and a different way of working. It's not necessarily always more money than perm when you add in factors like bench time and permie benefits.

As for me - I went contracting last year and I'm about to buy a 2 bedroom house in central London, something I could have never done with a perm salary.

Mark

Realise deeply the present moment is all you ever have. Make the Now the primary focus of your life. Eckhart Tolle