View Single Post
(#158)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 20-11-2021, 05:46 PM

In Northern Ireland, everyone over 18 was given a pre-paid card with £100 on it. The aim is to pump some life back into the local economy in the aftermath of the Covaids plague.

Anyway, I decided to try and use most of my 100 quid replacing some of my bookshelves with classics from charity shops. So far this week I've picked up...

War and Peace - Tolstoy
The Idiot - Dostoevsky
Little Dorrit - Dickens
Hard Times - Dickens
Robinson Crusoe - Defoe
The Woman in White - Collins
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Hardy
The Mayor of Casterbridge - Hardy
Far from the Maddening Crowd - Hardy
Pride and Prejudice - Austen
Emma - Austen

There were plenty more I could have got, but I'm being very selective. I've actually attempted a few of the above through audiobooks and Ebook, it just hasn't been successful and I've given up. So, I've come to realize that the only way to read the greats is in physical form. Plus, I get to have a sexier home library with which to impress my future sexy literature-loving author wife.

I also picked up a few non-classics but still of great interest to me...

Hitler: A Study in Tyranny
Holocaust Survivors Tell Their Story
The Most Evil Dictators in History

Looking at my home library, it's time for a clearout, just like my digital clearout last year. There are books that I will just never read because I no longer have any interest in, and would 100% feel like I'm wasting my time. Things like tHe PoWeR oF pOsItIvE tHiNkInG and a bunch of business autobiographies and shit like that.

All of those 6 to 8-hour reads are wasted portions of my life that could be spent reading War and Peace.

You can't win if you don't play
The Following User Says Thank You to dan300 For This Useful Post:
kowalski (20-11-2021)