View Single Post
(#153)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 27-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life

I've almost finished listening to Jordan Peterson's new book. My first thoughts are that, because I've listened to so much of his published work, to some extent it just feels a bit like, well, more of the same. I'm not sure if I'm feeling anything "new".

Being about 9 hours in, it feels like a lot of the content has been bulked out with lengthy stories about clients from his clinical practice. I mentally noted at least a few of these stories as ones I'd heard before in his lectures. The thing about that is, the majority of people reading or listening to his book are going to be fans who have, like me, also heard these stories before.

It's not bad, but I'm just undecided whether it's better than anything we've already had. I think there's a lot of religious references in it too, which, if I was reading or listening to just about anyone else, I'd close the fucking book.

Although I have to say, one of the new rules has struck a chord with me and has influenced me just yesterday to make a decision, and that was the rule:

'Work as hard as you possibly can on one thing and see what happens'

I have actually been spreading myself too thinly lately (although that's been a position I've frequently found myself in throughout the years) and now I'm going to put the majority of my spare time into a new business project. Yes, I know I've been yapping about this a long time and I have two failed attempts behind me, but here we go with phase three.

I even started studying a relevant course on Content Strategy last night as soon as I'd made that decision. It's not the only course I've done lately (I've got the study bug again) but whilst I enjoy studying for fun I'm currently doing so with purpose.

You can't win if you don't play