View Single Post
(#1)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default Film Recommendations - 04-02-2021, 03:25 PM

I'm a bit bored so thought I'd offer some film recommendations, these are a bit more obscure (depending on your age and if you're into your films) than the usual fare (if your idea of a good movie is Fast & Furious or the next marvel comic superhero shite, then this won't be for you).

Southern Comfort (1981) - Thought I'd start with this one as it's available to watch on YouTube. A Louisiana National Guard troop go on weekend maneuvers in the Bayou and make the mistake of pissing off the locals. This often gets compared to "Deliverance" I think it's better.

Hombre (1967) - A Western starring Paul Newman, doesn't get talked about as much as his other films, but I think it's one of his best.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) - Great film with some good performances from Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman. A would be gigolo goes off to New York for a bit of adventure and to make his fortune, but things don't turn out the way he expected.

Eagle vs Shark (2007) - A quirky romantic comedy from New Zealand starring Jemaine Clement (of Flight of the Conchords), I think it's quite underrated, I liken it to "Napoleon Dynamite".

The Ladykillers (1955) - Probably the best Ealing Comedy and just a charming film, it stars Alec Guinness, (a young) Peter Sellers and Herbert Lom. It's also set around Kings Cross, so interesting to see how much it's changed.

Don't Look Now (1973) - This is kind of a Thriller/Horror, a British made film starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, good lead performances, it's mostly set in Venice, just a great piece of work.

The Hill (1965) - Stars Sean Connery in one of his best performances, it's set in an army prison in North Africa at the end of the Second World War.
It focuses on the fear and punishment doled out by the army officers in their attempt to break the human spirit of the prisoners.

Excalibur (1981) - Best Film adaptation of the King Arthur legend, and a great classical score which includes a lot of music by Wagner.

I could go on, but I better leave it there.

Last edited by HaveACuppaTea; 04-02-2021 at 04:55 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HaveACuppaTea For This Useful Post:
dan300 (31-05-2021), Jaz (12-02-2021), kowalski (04-02-2021)