View Single Post
(#63)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 05-08-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
And then there are some books that are more or less considered essential reading, like 1984. Any adult human who doesn't live in a remote African tribe and hasn't read 1984 is failing at life. You can't even be in a conversation about modern politics if you haven't read that book, you don't even know what big brother is, you don't even know what room 101 is, you don't even know what newspeak is, you don't even know what double-think is... and like this you'd be incapable of discussing modern politics. The person you are taking to would keep having to stop and explain those concepts to you, or would just tell you to fuck off and come back when you've read it. Has anybody ever read 1984 and not had it permanently effect their way of thinking about the world?
Just finished reading this.

It was good but I think I would need to read it again to fully appreciate it. It took me while to get into and understand what the fuck was going on, because it jumps right into a day in the life of Winston and goes from there. Although in hindsight it was quite in-your-face from page one that there was major control going on, especially with the phrase BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU on the very first page.

I can't imagine a totalitarian society ever truly becoming a thing for us, but it did make me think of North Korea, and that video game Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee. Could it ever happen? I don't know enough about world politics to try and call it. However, the microphones and TV screens everywhere that can observe and listen in to everyone is a funny aspect of the story, because that's pretty much came true.

Looking forward to the next one... Mark Manson - The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck

I know I've passively read a lot of self-development books but this is one I'm going to really pay attention to.

You can't win if you don't play