View Single Post
(#50)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 23-10-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
Off the top of my head, books I would recommend to almost anyone...

1984, Animal Farm, Down and Out in Paris and London... Fuck it, let's just say anything by George Orwell.
Anything by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

On the road, Jack Kerouac
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S Thompson
Catch 22, Joseph Heller
American Psycho, Brett Easton Ellis
Steppenwolfe, Hermann Hesse
Catcher in the rye, J.D Salinger (This book affected people so much that John Lennon's killer was found calmly reading a copy and had written "This is my statement' in the sleeve, later Salinger went into hiding).
The Stranger, Albert Camus
Lord of the flies, William Golding
The Raw Shark Texts, Steven Hall
A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess

Definitely going to be reading some of these.

P.S. Every single library in the world will have at least one copy of The Brothers Karamazov... maybe with the exception of libraries in Communist dictator states like the bad Korea.
There's a copy in a charity bookstore round the corner from me for 3 quid. Couldn't carry it with me at the time so left it there for now. Probably get it tomorrow.

The book I was reading, which I finished last night, was The Count of Monte Cristo.

It was fucking incredible. Really engaging from start to finish and you could visualise all the many scenes and characters in explicit detail. No shit, The Count of Monte Cristo is a better story than any series or movie I've watched. It took probably 35 hours to read the entire thing, very long but as it's a great story it was far from a chore. In fact I didn't want it to end. I sense there is going to be a challenge to find a story as epic.

I bought it 4 years ago and once or twice read a few chapters and forgot about it, but I was missing out this whole time. In fact I know now that I've been missing out for a very long time by not reading great/classic stories. For 10 years I've read nothing but educational, psychology, behavioural and self-development stuff, yet I go and read this one fiction book and it turns out to be the best book I've ever read.

I'm positively mind-blown.

You can't win if you don't play
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan300 For This Useful Post:
daleinthedark (24-10-2018), ephemeris (26-01-2019), kowalski (23-10-2018)