View Single Post
(#1)
Old
MEMBER OF THE MONTH

Default Attitude, presence, entering the scene, approaching, opener - 16-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Awake slowly, rehearsing the day’s main challenges, and don’t hurry your breakfast routine. Repeat to yourself: “the sex war is real, all those lovely ladies are the enemy, and they are all out to get me”. Dress appropriately, plan your route, gather your belongings, shine your shoes ... you are ready to leave the house. Gird your loins -- briefcase in one hand, balls in the other -- and sally forth in gay abandon. Remember: ‘Today is a good day to die’. If you are not ready to risk everything in an instant your presence will be insignificant. Stride, posture, gesture, gaze ... all must challenge every man and woman you meet. Every enemy trooper must be looked straight in the eye.

Pause when entering spaces, and survey the lie of the land — assess enemy strength and disposition. Stance, head-angle and gait when passing through doorways are particularly important -- keep your eyes above horizontal, surveying the scene. If you bow your head you are submitting to the dominance of others. The strength of your entrance can make or break any subsequent conversation -- for hours afterwards. You cannot fully recover your presence, after a spoilt entrance.

Keep silent as you approach her, looking steadfastly at her eyes. Your approach is your first utterance -- your act of dominance -- so you must wait for her to reply. This means she must speak first -- you would otherwise be speaking out of turn. Speaking out of turn destroys the conversation on the spot. She may well not reply at all, or she will continue, but it will only be idle chatter -- she has lost interest in you. In other words speak twice and you’ve lost her.

Ask her how she is -- she will reply by asking you too. Notice you must keep leading her. If she falls silent after you’ve spoken, for God’s sake keep quiet. She is doing you the great honour of digesting what you’ve just said. Keep silent for a hundred years, if necessary.

Start politely by talking of something inconsequential like the weather. At all costs avoid starting a sentence with a qualifier. I think … , I’ve got a theory that … , I wonder if … , can you imagine … my opinion is … all reveal you are unsure of yourself. Take it in turns, matching length of utterances. Slowly lengthen them as you grow more confident, still only saying what you know to be true.

When you feel you are ready it’s time to switch horses. Freedom of speech is the opposite of politeness -- it’s the freedom to shock and be rude. Say the most outrageous yet truthful thing you dare say in a few seconds, and wait patiently for her reply. Keep your mouth shut. When she replies it will be to ask a question, or she will amaze you -- that is if she has not run out the door. Not only will she have understood your idea completely, but she will extend it right before your very eyes. Yes, she knows your own idea better than you do. I have no idea how that could be, but it is true. Given her contribution, you can extend it even further. If you can stand it, keep on talking for a million years.

Once you have mastered the above, get married and join the Suffrageur Society.

Duncan M. Butlin
Chichester, UK

Last edited by DuncanButlin; 20-09-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: tried and failed to add visiting card attachment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuncanButlin For This Useful Post:
Jaz (24-09-2018), kowalski (17-09-2018)