View Single Post
(#18)
Old
MASTER PUA

Default 08-09-2017, 12:43 AM

I read Richard Branson's Like a Virgin. I had read about 15 chapters before yesterday (it's written in 3/4 page chapters) and then when I found out yesterday was international #ReadABookDay a decided to sit down and finish the whole book.

I have no major comprehensive book review or anything like that. Just that it was a decent read in regards to how business is done. Or rather, how he and Virgin group done/does business.

Which, as I'd kinda known but it didn't really register, was that they have always did things better by spotting competitors faults and building an entire business that was ultimately superior than competitors from the offset such as Virgin airlines - their super friendly cabin crew went above and beyond for their passengers and with a smile, something others didn't - air trips were mundane and unpleasant.

There was also things that were a little more risqué than usual. Like the Kate Moss cocaine "shock story" which Virgin jumped on immediately and hired Kate to star in one of their adverts about "contracts" referring to Virgin mobile, after having lost her modelling "contract". It was quite funny and pretty genius too if we're honest. Someone's loss is another's gain - just like another more recent example when the BBC sacked Clarkson and then Amazon picked him and the other 2 up.

(The Kate Moss thing wasn't in the book that's just me further reminding of Virgins willingness to shock)

Branson's book was definitely worth the read because it gave me a broad understanding of how to think alternatively and creatively. He is a legit entrepreneur yet he prides his success (not solely) on his willingness and ability to do what others aren't doing, even if it means twisting the rules a little bit.

I can't explain it properly how cool of a businessman he is, you'd need to read the book. I'm a big fan now.

I've got 2 more of his books and can't wait to read them. Especially the one called "Screw it, lets do it"

NOTE: Just as I was about to post this there was a news bulletin on my local radio station saying there was a hurricane or something on the British Virgin Islands, where Richard and his Missus lives.

You can't win if you don't play